Avenged Sevenfold - Self Titled

Black, Death & Heavy Metal + anything similar Rock etc....

Moderators: Moderators, Music Moderators

Chris
Snail
Snail

Re: Avenged Sevenfold - Self Titled

Post by Chris » 14 Jun 2008, 16:03

No, but that's not the sole reason I listen to music. The best I can do to explain why I like this album is to point out they have some incredibly inventive riffs, super-tight playing, and anthemic choruses.

Sometimes I think it might even be easier to be a progressive rock band that 'pushes musical boundaries' than to be a band writing catchy songs... because from experience, you can get away with anything under the name of 'progressive' and there will always be at least one person who digs it.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 15 Jun 2008, 12:28

i don't like the term 'sell out', but there are some bands who seem to treat music as a job more than a passion. avenged sevenfold are one of those bands. you could say the same about a lot of bands, but personally i don't care how much money they make as long as there's a bit of passion involved. and it helps if they're not a raging pack of wankers too.

Chris
Snail
Snail

Post by Chris » 15 Jun 2008, 12:46

I couldn't care less if a band actually came out and said 'we put no effort or soul into this record, we needed the money'. If the music was still good, I wouldn't care. At the end of the day, I'm gonna base my opinion on the music and not the intention behind it. I'm past my teenage years of hearing a good song then having to dislike it because I found out it was by a pop band or similarly unrespected artist.

And Dave, on what basis are you making that judgement of Avenged Sevenfold? They are always well rehearsed for live shows... they write music that at very least isn't simple. In what way are they treating it more like a job?

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 15 Jun 2008, 13:38

it's mainly how the music comes across to me. it's dull and lifeless. and those live clips too, they just look bored, like they're not bothered about being there.

under_a_serpent_sun
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by under_a_serpent_sun » 15 Jun 2008, 19:08

all_against_all wrote:Course it's not you sillyface. That video is fucking amazing.

That's a well executed 'sillyface' right there.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 18 Jun 2008, 18:25

Chris wrote:tldr+terrible videos

That song was about eight minutes twelve seconds too long. Also laffo at the girlyness of the crowd, "Squeeeeeeeaaallllll".

New Unearth album in the making btw Dave.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 18 Jun 2008, 18:27

campy wrote:
Chris wrote:tldr+terrible videos

That song was about eight minutes twelve seconds too long. Also laffo at the girlyness of the crowd, "Squeeeeeeeaaallllll".

New Unearth album in the making btw Dave.

so i heard. gonna buy my ticket for the never say die tour next week too. that is gonna be special.

THOM
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by THOM » 18 Jun 2008, 21:40

metal_dave wrote:i don't like the term 'sell out', but there are some bands who seem to treat music as a job more than a passion.

Dave I understand what you're trying to say however, when your band gets to such a size it does become a job if you're a 'sell out' band or not. If bands were not to adopt a professional approach to what they do then a lot of bands wouldn't have gotten to where they are today, simple as. There are a few exceptions to this but generally this goes for most 'big' bands.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 18 Jun 2008, 21:54

THOM wrote:
metal_dave wrote:i don't like the term 'sell out', but there are some bands who seem to treat music as a job more than a passion.

Dave I understand what you're trying to say however, when your band gets to such a size it does become a job if you're a 'sell out' band or not. If bands were not to adopt a professional approach to what they do then a lot of bands wouldn't have gotten to where they are today, simple as. There are a few exceptions to this but generally this goes for most 'big' bands.

yeah i see what you mean, it's just that for me there has to be a balance. i like it when a band comes out to play a set and seems genuinely grateful and happy to be there. obviously even the most easy going bands will have off days, but some just make it seem like a bit of a chore.

plus i just hate avenged sevenfold on many different levels anyway and would rather they weren't on a stage at all ever.